Sunday, August 10, 2014

Advice from a Handsome College Guy | Starting Senior Year

This is the last night of my 2014 summer vacation.

 Although I am pretty bummed that I will no longer be able to sleep to twelve in the morning and wear pajamas all day, I am kinda looking forward to this school year.  SENIOR YEAR. Aren't we suppose to be excited? 

Well to be quite honest, before about 11:00 this morning I wasn't as excited as most of my fellow 2015 graduates.  

See this past summer this looming,dark,frightening thought has been in the back of my head. WHAT COMES AFTER HIGH-SCHOOL? Although I talked about similar subjects in a previous blog,and attempted to overcome it, I still had doubt about my confidence in the subject.

I feel like senior year it finally starts to sink in that life is about to really happen, and you are in full control. There are other variables at play but in the end every decision you make takes you on a new path in life. I mean, it's a lot to handle.

But, like I said in my previous blog, I don't have much time to waste on being scared. So I have made attempts at trying to do things that I feel set me in the right direction for what I want in life, like this blog and my YouTube channel.  Even after that, thinking about senior year and life after high school was like walking into the abyss of unknown.

Until today, at approximately 11:00 am.

My friend who graduated about two years ago  just recently was hired where I work for the summer until he goes back to university at the end of the month. Over the past week that I've had the pleasure of working with him, he has given me some of the best advice I have ever received. 

1. Drama ends in high school, so avoid it 
2. If you're looking for love, you're never going to find it
3. Go with the flow and have fun
4. If you want something, don't stop working toward it, NO MATTER WHAT!
5. Bruno Mars makes everything a bit better

Now, I know that this advice is cliche and you've probably heard it thousands of times from your parents,grandparents,aunts,uncles, and cheesy 80s movies, and I know that these are all reliable sources for great advice, but for some reason it was different.  This advice being told from a 19 year old guy I went to high school with, for some reason, just resonated with me.

My friend, let's call him 'A' for the purposes of this blog(not that even knows this exist) 

My friend ,well, is average. Let me explain.

I was fortunate enough to enroll late my sophomore year and be scheduled in Fine Arts Survey, the only class left as an elective. Now, I was excited because I like art, but at my school only seniors take that class as a last resort for an art credit. This meant I was the only sophomore in a class full of seniors. Initially I was terrified but to my surprise that's when I first met 'A'. He was one of the first people who talked to me in that class. He has been one of the friendliest people I know, a social butterfly.

Now we weren't besties or anything but he was my friend.

'A' wound up dating one of my friends at the time, worked with him in theater productions, became friends with his younger brother, and now, I work with him.

From this you can see that he's just an average guy anyone would've gone to school with, apart from the fact that he is extremely handsome as well as extremely nice to lame sophomores(me), but apart from that he's just average.

But I think that is what's different from his advice. 

He isn't a grandparent whose had a lifetime of experiences to give that advice or an 80s movie which was written by a bunch of middle aged people who has had those same experiences.  

'A' is just young.

This is I think why his advice gave me more hope. He didn't need to wait a lifetime to no longer fear what comes next.  Leaving high-school was enough. 

Leaving high-school isn't the end of hopes and dreams for the future, it's the beginning of working for those hopes and dreams.

So as of 11:00 am this morning I have decided that I am excited for Senior year!

As of Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 7:22am I start working TOWARD what I want, NOT cowarding away.

And hopefully everything will work out. And maybe a year from now I will have discovered all of 'A's' advice and experiences for myself and encourage someone else to not fear the future but embrace it.

So with that I encourage you to take the advice given in this blog and maybe think about it every once in a while. Think about how letting go of drama could solve A LOT, think about how having fun in life is ah-mazing, think about your ambition,think about letting love find you not the other way around, and most of all, think about how much you LOVE Bruno Mars!

Well, until next time, STAY RANDOM!!!
                           -Shaye


PS
Sorry if I've been a bit repetitive, but this is the stuff on my mind, but I do have some other material planned, so stay tuned for some new topics. 

And if you follow me on YouTube I won't be uploading today because the footage was terrible so I have to re film this week.







No comments:

Post a Comment